This recipe can be enjoyed any time of year. However, a zucchini scramble is the perfect breakfast recipe to whip up in mid-summer when gardens are abundant with fresh zucchini and basil.
My Zucchini & Feta Breakfast Skillet is a light and filling, high protein breakfast option. It is a naturally gluten free recipe that only requires a few minutes of prep time.
Not only is this zucchini scramble delicious, but it's easy too! After a little bit of chopping and dicing, you simply throw everything into your frying pan and mix it together.
- Onions - Any white onion will do.
- Zucchini - This recipe will not use up an entire average sized zucchini. My advice is to chop up the entire zucchini, use what you need and store the rest in a zip top plastic bag so that it is all ready to use later. This way you can easily throw it into a pan and cook it up at lunchtime or dinnertime.
- Fresh basil - FRESH is a must! Dried basil just won't cut it in this recipe.
- Fresh spinach - I LOVE adding fresh, sautéed spinach to scrambled eggs. It is such an easy and simple way to add veggies to your breakfast.
- Salt - Course salt is my #1 choice.
- Feta cheese - Have you ever tried low-fat feta cheese? I have. By accident. It's disgusting. Don't waste your money. Buy the full fat stuff and thoroughly enjoy every bite of the rich, salty flavor!
- Large frying pan - I prefer to use a high quality stainless steel frying pan. A cast iron frying pan would work as well!
- Cutting board and chopping knife
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
How to make
Step 1: Prepare your ingredients. Thinly slice the onions. Chop the zucchini. Dice the basil. Crack your eggs into a bowl and scramble with a whisk. Add the salt and pepper to the raw eggs and mix in.
Step 2: Heat your olive oil up in a large frying pan or skillet. After the oil is heated up add in the onion and zucchini. Sauté until the zucchini is tender and the onion is soft and translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Step 3: In the same pan, melt the butter and heat the butter up until it is sizzling. After the butter is sizzling pour the bowl of raw whisked eggs into the hot pan. Gently scramble the eggs. Continue scrambling until the eggs are 80% cooked through.
Step 4: Once the eggs are 80% cooked, add in the handful of spinach and fold the spinach into the eggs until the spinach is wilted. Next add the cooked onions and zucchini back into the pan. Mix the scrambled eggs, spinach, onions and zucchini until combined. Finally, gently fold in the fresh basil and the feta cheese. Remove from heat and serve.
- No Knead Overnight Bread - This fresh baked bread is started the night before. It only takes a few minutes to mix up the dough, then you let it sit until morning. When you get up in the morning, pop it in the oven! Your family will wake up to the smell of fresh baked bread!
- Slow Cooker Vegan Steel Cut Oats - This is another recipe that you start the night before. The difference with this recipe though, is that the slow cooker does the cooking for you while you are sleeping! When you wake up in the morning your home will smell like fresh-baked apple cinnamon muffins.
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel Topping - Pair this savory zucchini feta skillet with a sweet banana bread!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can. I think it would be a perfect breakfast meal prep recipe. However, I would not make it ahead of time if you are serving it for a fancy breakfast with friends or family.
Yes it is! All ingredients used for this recipe are naturally gluten free. Serve it with your favorite gluten free bread and you will have a complete gluten free meal!
You bet it is! No meat is used in this breakfast recipe.
Leftovers will be good for 3-4 days if stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
Additions and Substitutions
- Veggie substitutions - If you don't care for zucchini, onions or spinach I would try this recipe out with sautéed peppers, arugula, or sweet potatoes.
- Herb substitutions - If you don't like fresh basil or don't have any on hand, then fresh parsley would be a great substitution!
- Additions - I think this egg recipe would be excellent with crisp bacon pieces added in, chopped up turkey bacon or halved cherry tomatoes!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review below!