Quick-cooking Turkey Smash Burgers are a healthier alternative to the classic ground beef smash burger. And by quick, I mean under 10 minutes, TOPS! Serve them with chips, and you've got the fastest homemade dinner you'll make all week!
Smash burgers are made using a special cooking technique where ground meat is pressed (or smashed) onto a hot, flat-top grill. This results in a quick and even sear, and juicy, flavorful patties.
The thinly pressed burgers are often smothered in melty cheese and served double-stacked on a toasted bun.
- Why you'll love this recipe
- Turkey burger toppings
- Equipment needed
- How to make Turkey Smash Burgers
- Expert tips
- Substitutions and variations
- How to store, freeze, and reheat
- What to serve with smashed turkey burgers
- Frequently asked questions
- Burger recipes you might also like
- 📖 Recipe
- Hungry for more?
- 💬 Comments
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick-cooking: Smashed turkey burgers only take a few minutes to cook on each side because they're pressed super thin, significantly speeding up the cooking time!
- Moist & Juicy: This is THE BEST turkey smash burger recipe because I add a special ingredient that practically guarantees your burgers will be moist and juicy.
- Flavorful: Seasoned ground turkey patties are pressed onto a hot grill, creating a caramelized, crispy exterior and evenly cooked, juicy interior!
- Healthier: Ground turkey is much lighter and leaner than ground beef, making turkey smash burgers a very healthy alternative to classic smash burgers.
- Versatile: This recipe can easily be adapted to be gluten-free and low-carb.
- Kid-Friendly: Thinly pressed smash burgers are easy to bite into, making them perfect for small children. Another kid-friendly burger option would be my Cheeseburger Sliders on Hawaiian Rolls!
Ground turkey: You should choose ground turkey with a little bit of fat content, and avoid 99% fat-free turkey. The fat will give the burgers some flavor and moisture.
Mayonnaise: Mayo is my "secret" ingredient that really helps to make the burgers moist and juicy! No dry and bland burgers here!
Seasonings: Add to the flavor of the burgers with garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and ground black pepper.
Butter: Oil the hot grill pan with salted butter. Butter gives the outside of the burgers a golden-brown, buttery, crust.
*A detailed ingredients list and recipe instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Turkey burger toppings
You can stick with your classic Smashburger toppings, or get creative with additions like avocado, bacon, BBQ sauce, and caramelized onions.
Sauteed mushrooms, blue cheese, pesto mayo, a fried egg, pickled red onions, burger sauce, and onion rings are a few of my favorites!
- Flat-top grill: You can use a cast iron flat top griddle, large cast iron skillet, or an outdoor flat-top Blackstone grill.
- Burger press: Smash the burgers using a cast-iron Cuisinart Smash Burger Press or the back of a large spatula. I prefer the burger press!
- Parchment paper: Place parchment paper between the burger press and the raw meat to prevent sticking. I love these large sheets of parchment!
How to make Turkey Smash Burgers
- Mix all of the ingredients together (except for the butter).
- Evenly divide the turkey burger mixture into 4 balls.
- Place the balls on your hot grill and smash them into thin patties.
- Cook each smash burger patty for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Top with cheese, burger toppings, and your favorite condiments.
Step 1: Mix the ground turkey, mayo, and all seasonings in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to combine the smash burger recipe ingredients together. Mix until just combined.
Step 2: Divide the burger mixture into four equally-sized balls.
Step 3: Place the smash burger balls onto a preheated, oiled flattop grill over medium heat. Keep them spaced about 3 inches apart.
*Cook your burgers in batches if needed.
Step 4: Set a small square of parchment paper on top of your first burger. Firmly press (or smash) the burger using your burger press or the back of a large spatula.
Press until the burger is about ¼ inch thick. Repeat this process until all of your burgers are smashed!
Step 5: Cook the burgers for 3-4 minutes per side. Add your cheese (if desired) when about 1 minute of cooking time is remaining.
Step 6: Place the burgers on a toasted bun, add your favorite toppings, and serve them warm!
- A flat-top grill or skillet is a must! If you use a grill pan with grooves or a grill with grates, the burgers will smash right through the grates and will be impossible to flip.
- Placing a small square of parchment paper between your burger press and the raw meat is highly recommended. This prevents the uncooked top of the burger from sticking to the press.
- Preheating your griddle or skillet over medium heat is essential. This helps sear the meat quickly, prevents sticking, and develops that flavorful, golden-brown crust!
- Take your burgers to another level by toasting the buns. While your burgers are resting, place the cut side of the buns on the grill for a few minutes.
- Let the burgers rest for a few minutes before serving them. Resting redistributes the juices, making them extra juicy and moist!
- Ground turkey is fully cooked when it has reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F. Use a digital meat thermometer to make sure that the burgers have been fully cooked.
Substitutions and variations
Substitutions: Make chicken smash burgers by substituting ground turkey with ground chicken. Feel free to add any of your favorite seasonings!
Variations: Make your burgers spicy with sriracha sauce (or mayo), add feta cheese and tzatziki sauce for Greek-style burgers, or bacon and a fried egg for a breakfast burger!
How to store, freeze, and reheat
How to store: Store leftover turkey burgers (without the bun or toppings) in a glass, airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Turkey burgers store really well, making them perfect for meal prep.
How to freeze: Freeze cooked turkey burger patties in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. When firm, transfer the patties to a freezer bag or air-tight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to reheat: Reheat turkey burgers in the microwave for 1-2 minutes at a time until the desired warmth is reached. Reheating in a skillet over low heat is also an option.
What to serve with smashed turkey burgers
- Potato Salad (without eggs)
- Pesto Pasta Salad with Sundried Tomatoes
- Summer Tortellini Salad
- Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
Frequently asked questions
A smash burger is any burger that is smashed (or pressed) onto a hot grill. The patties are thinly pressed and only need to be cooked for a few minutes per side.
Form raw turkey burgers into patties. Lay the patties flat, in a single layer, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, then transfer the patties to a ziplock freezer bag. Freeze raw turkey burgers for up to 3 months.
Forming the burgers into tight patties, including a binding agent like eggs or breadcrumbs, and adding fats like mayo to the raw burger mixture are all ways to prevent turkey burgers from falling apart.
Smash burgers are so juicy because they're cooked very quickly, which locks in juices and moisture.
Burger recipes you might also like
Hungry for more?
Did you make this recipe? Please leave me a 5-star review and tell me how much you loved it!