Skip the ground beef burgers and try out a Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe instead! These turkey burgers are filled with simple ingredients and made in under 30 minutes.
An easy turkey burger recipe is a staple on our monthly dinner menu. I often skip the grill, and instead start my burgers in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Once they have a good sear on the outside, they're transferred to the oven to finish cooking.
These turkey burgers are healthier because they do not contain eggs, breadcrumbs, or cheese.
- Ground turkey - I always purchase lean ground turkey that is about 85-93% lean. Not fat-free or 98-99% fat-free lean ground turkey. Fat adds flavor and moisture to ground turkey.
- Fresh spinach - Spinach sneaks some veggies into this recipe, which increases the health factor!
- Fresh parsley - Parsley adds delicious herby flavor.
- Dijon mustard - Choose a Dijon with a smooth and creamy texture, slightly spicy, and slightly tangy.
- Worcestershire sauce - Worcestershire adds a slight umami flavor when it is added to recipes.
- Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper - This combination makes an excellent turkey burger seasoning.
- Olive oil - A little olive oil is used to oil the skillet.
*See the recipe card below for a detailed list of ingredients with quantities.
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting board & chopping knife
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
- Large skillet or frying pan - A large cast iron skillet or non-stick frying pan will work best!
- Rimmed baking sheet - Nordic Ware baking sheets are my favorite!
How to make Healthy Turkey Burgers
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Add all of your ingredients, except for the olive oil, to a large mixing bowl. Using your hands, mix the ingredients together until they are fully combined.
Step 3: Form your turkey burger patties into four, equal portions. Flatten them until they are about the size of your palm and about ½ inch thick. Make a small indentation in the center of each patty. This will help the patties keep their size and shape while they are cooking.
I place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. After I transfer them to the frying pan, the parchment gets thrown away.
Step 4: Transfer the turkey patties to a large, hot, oiled skillet. I prefer a cast iron skillet, but a nonstick frying pan would also work. Sear each side of the turkey burger for about 4 minutes per side, over medium heat.
Step 5: The turkey burgers will finish cooking in the oven. You can transfer your cast iron skillet into the oven or place the burgers onto a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Cook the burgers for 10-15 minutes, or until they have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
Start checking your burgers at 10 minutes. You don't want to overcook your burgers. You want a nice, juicy turkey burger!
Step 6: Remove your burgers from the oven, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy one of the best turkey burgers you've ever made!
Variations and substitutions
- Add some cheese! I would add crumbly feta cheese to the ground meat mix mixture. You could also top your burger with a melted slice of sharp cheddar cheese or American cheese.
- Make it spicy! You can add heat to your burger with chili powder, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce.
- Make it Mediterranean style! Mediterranean or Greek turkey burgers are incredibly common and are usually topped with feta cheese, roasted red peppers, tzatziki sauce, and Greek olives.
- Serve your turkey burger patty on a sesame hamburger bun, brioche burger bun, lettuce wraps, or over salad greens.
- Top your burgers with sliced red onion, fresh tomato slices, pickles, and greens like arugula, spinach, or romaine lettuce.
- Top your burger with ketchup, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, BBQ sauce, or ranch dressing.
- Serve these easy homemade turkey burgers with Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, Tortellini Salad, green salad, potato chips, or steak fries!
How to store: Turkey burgers can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to reheat: Reheat the burger patties in the microwave for about 1 minute, on a microwave-safe plate. Add your toppings and your burger bun after they're reheated.
- Prepare all of your burger toppings before you start cooking your burgers.
- Have your oven preheated so that you can transfer your skillet straight from the stovetop to the hot oven.
- Don't use a panini press or press your burgers down with the back of your spatula while they are cooking. You want to keep those juices INSIDE of your burger!
- When you're searing the outside of your turkey burgers in hot oil, a splatter screen will prevent oil from popping up out of the pan.
Check out my highlights on Instagram for weekly family dinner ideas!
Did you make this recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I love hearing from my followers and answering any of your questions!