My BLT Bagel Sandwich takes the traditional bacon, lettuce and tomato combo and serves it on a hearty and filling bagel. In addition to crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes and lettuce, I've added a homemade avocado & green onion cream cheese.
BLT sandwiches were on our lunch & dinner menu all August long! My two oldest kids love them so they haven't complained one bit.
Since I have served so many BLT's this past month, I wanted to get creative and make a BLT with a twist. Once I decided on serving the BLT on a bagel, I wanted to keep with the bagel vibe and swap out the mayo for cream cheese.
- Very filling - This sandwich will hold you over until your next meal and beyond!
- The bagel sandwich works for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- Contains a small serving of healthy fats thanks to the avocado.
- Quick & easy - Make the bacon ahead of time for an even faster sandwich assembly.
- Cream cheese
- Lemon juice
- Green onion
Kitchen tools needed
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
How to make
- Microwave - Soften the cream cheese in the microwave.
- Mix - Add the avocado, lemon juice, diced green onion, salt and pepper to the softened cream cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Assemble - Cut open the bagel. Spread 2-4 tablespoons of the avocado cream cheese spread onto the bagel. Layer the bacon, lettuce and tomato onto the cream cheese.
- Serve & enjoy!
You might also like
- Classic Chicken Salad with Fresh Herbs
- Caprese Chicken Sandwich with Basil Pesto Mayo
- Breakfast Reuben with Turkey Bacon
- Top 50 Sides for Chicken Salad - This list of 50 side dishes to serve with chicken salad will give you plenty of ideas for what to serve along side a BLT sandwich!
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ of a whole avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh green onion - diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large bagel
- 3 slices bacon - cooked
- 1 large tomato - sliced
- Soften the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add the avocado, lemon juice, green onion, salt and pepper to the softened cream cheese and mix together.
- Slice the bagel in half. Spread 2-4 tablespoons of the avocado cream cheese onto the cut sides of the bagel.
- Layer the bacon, lettuce and sliced tomato onto the bottom half of the bagel. Top the bottom half of the bagel with the top half.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Variations - Toast the bagel, swap pork bacon for turkey bacon or tempeh bacon, use arugula instead of green leaf lettuce or add a fried egg to make this a breakfast sandwich!
- Gluten free - To make gluten free, use a gluten free bagel.
- Dairy free - To make dairy free, use dairy free cream cheese.
- Vegan - To make vegan, swap the bacon for tempeh bacon and the cream cheese for dairy-free cream cheese.
- *Prep time for this recipe does not include the time it takes to cook bacon.
- Prep Time: *5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Method: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: BLT bagel
Recipe variations and ingredient swaps
- Bread - Even though this is a BLT BAGEL, you do have the option of swapping out the bagel for a variety of other bread-based choices! You could try a brioche bun, croissant, fresh sourdough bread, bagel thins or an English muffin. You could also swap out the traditional wheat-based bagel for a gluten free bagel. I've always liked Udi's Gluten Free Bagels!
- Add a fried egg - To make this BLT sandwich even more like a breakfast sandwich, add a fried egg between the bacon, lettuce and tomato layers.
- Meat - If you don't love pork based bacon, you could try turkey bacon, tempeh bacon, Canadian bacon or a bacon jam.
- Veggies - If you can't find fresh green onions, you can substitute in fresh chives or dried chives. Try swapping out the green leaf lettuce for arugula, spinach or alfalfa sprouts.
I didn't toast the bagel for this recipe because I wanted the bread to be very soft.
Yes! This sandwich will hold up very well if made up to 24 hours in advance.
You can spread the avocado cream cheese on plain bagels, crackers, cucumbers or sweet mini cherry peppers.