Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and perfectly seasoned! Thanks to the air fryer, minimal oil is needed to make this delicious breakfast side dish. Garnish the potatoes with chopped green onion and serve them alongside eggs and bacon!
Breakfast potatoes, also known as home fries are regularly found on the menu at your local diner. I used to rarely make them at home because I didn't want to stand over my stove for 30+ minutes trying to cook and crisp them up in my cast iron pan.
Now that I know the magic of the air fryer though, breakfast potatoes are a super simple breakfast side dish! They're also very low in fat (only 1 tablespoon of olive oil is used for 5 cups of potatoes), gluten free and vegan.
After the potatoes have been peeled and chopped, which really doesn't take that long to do, the air fryer does the rest of the work!
- Chopped potatoes - I used white, russet potatoes. The higher starch content in russet potatoes make them ideal for making breakfast potatoes.
- Seasonings - Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika
- Olive oil
- Optional garnish - green onion
*See recipe card for quantities.
- Air fryer - This is obvious since this is an air fryer recipe. Here is the air fryer that I currently use. So far I love it! We have a big family so I knew I needed a bigger unit (6 quarts). It's easy to clean and is doing it's job!
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Potato peeler
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
Making breakfast potatoes in the air fryer is incredibly easy. All you have to do is peel and chop your white potatoes. I chopped the potatoes into approximately 1 inch cubes and tried to keep all of the cubes about the same size. Place all of the chopped potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and then give them a good mix. Sprinkle the seasonings onto the potatoes, mix them around again and then pour the potatoes into the basket of your air fryer.
Cook the breakfast potatoes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Pull the air fryer basket out and give the potatoes a good stir. Cook them for another 10 minutes at 400°F. After 20 minutes of total cook time, you'll have perfect crispy breakfast potatoes!
Hint: If your air fryer has a non-stick coating, like mine does in the photo above, make sure you stir the potatoes with a silicone spatula. Silicone won't scratch the non-stick coating.
Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes are obviously a breakfast recipe. However, they would certainly be an easy and delicious way to make potatoes for a side for lunch or dinner too.
- Breakfast - Serve air fried potatoes with bacon, sausage, eggs, ham, Canadian bacon, turkey bacon or scrambled tofu.
- Lunch - If I was making potatoes in the air fryer for lunch then I would definitely prep a bunch ahead of time and keep the in the fridge so that they are ready to be reheated at lunchtime.
- Dinner - Serve air fried breakfast potatoes at dinnertime with salmon, chicken, steak, porkchops and any veggies.
- Veggies - Mix in some sautéed peppers, onions and fresh garlic.
- Spicy - Add chili powder, red pepper flakes or cayenne powder to your seasoning mix. Increasing the amount of black pepper would add some heat as well. You could also serve them drizzled with hot sauce or buffalo sauce.
- Sauces - Serve air fryer home fries with ketchup, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, buffalo sauce or garlic mayo.
Store the cooked air fryer potatoes in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Don't forget to stir the potatoes halfway through the cooking time! Stirring them will ensure that all of the potatoes crisp up equally.
You also need to make sure that you preheat your air fryer, if your air fryer requires it. You'll want to preheat your empty air fryer at the temperature you will be cooking your food at, for 3-5 minutes.
Does your air fryer have an odor? Sometimes my air fryer will smell like whatever I last cooked in it... especially if the last thing I cooked was salmon! Get rid of smells in your air fryer by air frying pieces of sliced lemon at 300°F for 10 minutes.Print
- 5 cups white potatoes - peeled, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Chopped green onion for garnish
- Place the chopped potatoes into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Pour the olive oil over the potatoes and mix well.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the potatoes and mix well again.
- Preheat your air fryer at 400°F for 3 minutes. Pour the seasoned breakfast potatoes into the basket of your air fryer. Air fry the potatoes at 400°F for 10 minutes. Pull the basket out, stir the potatoes well, and place them back into the air fryer. Cook for another 10 minutes at 400°F.
- After 20 minutes of total cook time, the air fryer breakfast potatoes should be brown and crispy! Garnish the potatoes with chopped green onion and serve them with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Store the cooked air fryer potatoes in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat the potatoes in the microwave or on the stove over low heat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: breakfast, side dish
- Method: air frying
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: air fryer breakfast potatoes, breakfast potatoes, air fryer potatoes