Summer Squash and Goat Cheese Egg Pie is a recipe I created in August of last summer. Our garden was overflowing with summer squash and I was searching for new and unique ways to incorporate the abundant vegetable into our meals. However, thanks to grocery stores and modern agriculture, you can purchase summer squash all year-round. This recipe could easily be incorporated into your next Sunday brunch menu or be the main dish for a light lunch or dinner.
Summer Squash and Goat Cheese Egg Pie is similar to a quiche but does not call for as many eggs as most quiche recipes do. The quiche that I normally make calls for 6-8 eggs. This recipe only calls for 4 eggs. The addition of 1 cup of flour, which you would not normally find in a quiche, gives this dish a light and fluffy texture. The addition of diced onion adds depth to the flavor. I added in 8 ounces of goat cheese because I love the strong, earthy flavor of goat cheese. If you prefer a more mild flavor, you can add only 4 ounces instead. I have made the recipe both ways.
I use a box grater to shred the yellow squash. Using the large flat side of the box grater that contains the largest holes, rotate your zucchini while shredding it so that you avoid the inner core of the yellow squash. Yellow squash tends to have large seeds and the section of the squash that surrounds the seeds can have a stringy texture. I personally prefer to avoid that section.
When all of the ingredients are mixed together and ready to go in the pie dish, the mixture will seem thick. That is how the recipe is supposed to be. It will resemble the color and texture of egg salad.Print
- 1 ½ cups shredded yellow squash
- ⅔ cup diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces plain goat cheese
- 1 cup all purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a pie dish with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix your shredded yellow squash, diced yellow onion and goat cheese. You will need to use your hands to massage the goat cheese into the zucchini and onion. This will ensure even distribution of cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your all purpose flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. Whisk together until evenly combined.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl whisk together your milk, Greek yogurt and eggs. Whisk until no clumps of Greek yogurt remain.
- Dump your milk, yogurt and egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add your zucchini, onion and goat cheese mixture to the large bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined.
- Dump all ingredients into your prepared pie pan. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
Keywords: eggs, goat cheese, summer squash, yellow squash, pie, breakfast, lunch, dinner, side dish