Every bite of this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel Topping starts with cinnamon crumbly crunch and ends with soft, sweet bread. It is the perfect way to start OR end your day!
Banana bread? Sure! Banana bread with chocolate chips? YES, please! Banana bread with chocolate chips AND sweet, crunchy streusel topping!?! Now you're talking!
When you search "banana bread" in Google you get 315,000,000 results! Yikes! Obviously, banana bread is very popular. The popularity of banana bread made me want to get a little creative with my recipe!
- Less fat - Many recipes call for 1 whole stick of butter. Mine only calls for ½ a stick.
- More fiber - This recipe contains an entire cup of rolled oats!
- One bowl (for mixing the batter) - Less dirty dishes!
- No electric mixer - The bread is easily mixed together with a whisk or a spoon.
- Streusel topping - I love the sweet crunch of streusel topping. It only made sense to add it to my banana bread recipe!
Ingredients needed for the banana bread:
Ingredients needed for the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread streusel topping:
How to make
Step 1: Measure out 1 cup of rolled oats. Process the rolled outs down to a course flour using a blender or a food processor.
Step 2: Mash your bananas in a bowl. This recipe calls for 3 small bananas or 2 large bananas. I mashed my bananas with a potato masher.
Step 3: Add the remaining wet ingredients to the bowl with the mashed bananas. The wet ingredients include the melted butter, applesauce, vanilla and egg. Whisk all of the wet ingredients together until well combined.
Step 4: Add the remaining dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. The dry ingredients include the flour, ground rolled oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix thoroughly to combine.
Step 5: Mix the chocolate chips into the batter. Pour the batter into a bread/loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Cut your parchment paper down so that the parchment is the exact length of the bread pan. Leave a few inches of parchment overhanging on both sides. This will allow you to easily lift the bread out of the pan after it has finished baking.
***Tip - Crinkle your sheet of parchment paper into a loose ball before using. This will help the parchment paper flatten out instead of continuing to roll up.
Step 6: Make your streusel topping. Combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Next, cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the bowl with the flour mixture. Using either a fork, pastry blender or your hands, cut the butter into the flour mixture. Do this until the mixture resembles course crumbs. It will be crumbly and not a cohesive dough.
Step 7: Top the chocolate chip banana bread batter with the streusel topping. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Add walnuts, pecans or slivered almonds.
- Skip the chocolate chips or swap in white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips.
- Instead of streusel topping, try out a cream cheese frosting or a caramel drizzle.
- Swap the melted butter for melted coconut oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can absolutely freeze banana bread. I recommend letting the bread cool completely before freezing. Then, tightly wrap the bread in plastic wrap and put the wrapped banana bread in a plastic zip top freezer bag.
In my house, only about an hour! However, if your family has more self-control than mine, I would store this covered on the kitchen counter for 1-2 days. Banana bread is very moist. Moist breads are more prone to mold growth, which is why I do not recommend keeping cooked banana bread for too long.
Simply remove the banana bread from the plastic wrap and set it on the kitchen counter on a paper towel. Is should fully thaw in about 2-3 hours.
To ripen bananas more quickly, put them in a paper bag and fold the top down. Place the bag in a warm location and let it sit for 24 hours.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3 small/medium bananas
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Using a food processor or a blender, grind your 1 cup of regular rolled oats down to a course meal.
- Using either a fork or a potato masher, mash your bananas in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the mashed bananas. The wet ingredients include the melted butter, apple sauce, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients. The dry ingredients include the brown sugar, flour, ground rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and the salt. Mix to thoroughly combine.
- Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the chocolate chip banana bread batter into a bread/loaf pan lined with parchment paper. If needed, cut the parchment paper down to fit into the loaf pan.
- Make the streusel. Mix the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the flour mixture. Continue cutting the butter into the flour mixture using either a fork or a pastry cutter. The streusel mixture should resemble course crumbs not a cohesive dough.
- Top the banana bread batter with the streusel mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- To freeze - Let cool completely before freezing. Tightly wrap the bread in plastic wrap and put the wrapped banana bread in a plastic zip top freezer bag.
- To store - Store on the counter in an air-tight container for up to 2 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread with streusel topping, banana bread, streusel topping
Did you make this recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I love hearing from my followers and answering any of your questions!