Banana bread? Sure! Banana bread with chocolate chips? YES, please! Banana bread with chocolate chips AND sweet, crunchy streusel topping!?! Now you're talking! Every bite of this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel Topping starts with cinnamon crumbly crunch and ends with soft, sweet bread. It is the perfect way to start OR end your day!
When you search "banana bread" in Google you get 315,000,000 results! Yikes! Obviously, banana bread is very popular. The popularity of banana bread made me want to get a little creative with my recipe!
What makes my recipe different?
- Less fat - Many recipes call for 1 whole stick of butter. Mine only calls for ½ a stick.
- More fiber - This recipe contains an entire cup of rolled oats!
- One bowl (for mixing the batter) - Less dirty dishes!
- No electric mixer - The bread is easily mixed together with a whisk or a spoon.
- Streusel topping - I love the sweet crunch of streusel topping. It only made sense to add it to my banana bread recipe!
Ingredients needed for the banana bread:
Ingredients needed for the Chocolate Chip Banana Bread streusel topping:
How to make
Step 1: Measure out 1 cup of rolled oats. Process the rolled outs down to a course flour using a blender or a food processor.
Step 2: Mash your bananas in a bowl. This recipe calls for 3 small bananas or 2 large bananas. I mashed my bananas with a potato masher.
Step 3: Add the remaining wet ingredients to the bowl with the mashed bananas. The wet ingredients include the melted butter, applesauce, vanilla and egg. Whisk all of the wet ingredients together until well combined.
Step 4: Add the remaining dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. The dry ingredients include the flour, ground rolled oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix thoroughly to combine.
Step 5: Mix the chocolate chips into the batter. Pour the batter into a bread/loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Cut your parchment paper down so that the parchment is the exact length of the bread pan. Leave a few inches of parchment overhanging on both sides. This will allow you to easily lift the bread out of the pan after it has finished baking.
***Tip - Crinkle your sheet of parchment paper into a loose ball before using. This will help the parchment paper flatten out instead of continuing to roll up.
Step 6: Make your streusel topping. Combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Next, cut the butter into small cubes and add it to the bowl with the flour mixture. Using either a fork, pastry blender or your hands, cut the butter into the flour mixture. Do this until the mixture resembles course crumbs. It will be crumbly and not a cohesive dough.
Step 7: Top the chocolate chip banana bread batter with the streusel topping. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.Print
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips
Yes, you can absolutely freeze banana bread. I recommend letting the bread cool completely before freezing. Then, tightly wrap the bread in plastic wrap and put the wrapped banana bread in a plastic zip top freezer bag.
In my house, only about an hour! However, if your family has more self-control than mine, I would store this covered on the kitchen counter for 1-2 days. Banana bread is very moist. Moist breads are more prone to mold growth, which is why I do not recommend keeping cooked banana bread for too long.
Simply remove the banana bread from the plastic wrap and set it on the kitchen counter on a paper towel. Is should fully thaw in about 2-3 hours.
To ripen bananas more quickly, put them in a paper bag and fold the top down. Place the bag in a warm location and let it sit for 24 hours.
- Add walnuts, pecans or slivered almonds.
- Skip the chocolate chips or swap in white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips.
- Instead of streusel topping, try out a cream cheese frosting or a caramel drizzle.
- Swap the melted butter for melted coconut oil.
Serve my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel Topping with some of my other popular breakfast recipes!
- Zucchini & Feta Breakfast Skillet - The perfect summer scramble packed with zucchini, fresh basil, scrambled eggs, spinach & feta cheese!
- Breakfast Reuben with Turkey Bacon - Rye bread is topped with Thousand Islands dressing, sauerkraut, turkey bacon, eggs, cheddar cheese and arugula – and is ready to eat in about 10 minutes!
- Summer Squash and Goat Cheese Egg Pie - This is a low-carb, high- protein breakfast or side dish packed with yellow squash and goat cheese!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review below!