This Italian Sausage (in air fryer) recipe is a faster, easier and tastier way to make the classic sausage, peppers and onions combo! With this recipe you'll have a flavorful dinner on the table in 30 minutes and an even faster cleanup!
Sausage, peppers and onions is a classic dinner combination that I'm sure you've made dozens of times! I'm not claiming that I've created a wildly new recipe here. However, making this common dinner recipe in the air fryer actually is relatively new!
My recipe will give you step-by-step instructions on how to make Italian sausage links in the air fryer. I also include instructions on how to cook sliced bell peppers and sliced onions in the air fryer, and then also strongly suggest you pile the sausages, peppers and onion on a crusty, sausage roll!
Make sure you check out all of my amazing air fryer recipes!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy from start to finish - Very minimal prep work and even less cleanup!
- Make ahead recipe - Perfect for meal prep!
- Juicy sausages - The air fryer is known for making moist and juicy meat!
- So many ways to serve - I love serving air fryer sausages on a roll but you can also serve with pasta, rice, potatoes, cornbread, mac and cheese and all other veggies!
Italian sausages - I used large, uncooked turkey sausage links that were mildly seasoned. You could easily use a chicken sausage or a pork sausage. Keep in mind though that pork sausage has a much higher fat content than chicken or turkey sausage.
Pro tip: The type of sausage you use in this recipe matters. This sausage air fryer recipe is specifically for large sausage links, not sausage patties. It's for uncooked sausages in casing, not fully-cooked "heat & eat" sausages.
Bell peppers - You can use red, orange, yellow or green bell peppers.
White onion - White onion or yellow onion will both work for this recipe.
Sausage rolls - Choose a nice, thick, crusty sausage roll.
Kosher salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil
*Full recipe instructions are found in the recipe card at the bottom of this blog post.
- Air Fryer (basket style) - Here is the air fryer that I currently use. I've been using it non-stop since I purchased it in January. Many food bloggers also love the Ninja Foodi Air Fryer and the 5.8 QT Cosori Air Fryer.
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Cutting board, knife & measuring spoons
How to make Air Fryer Italian Sausage
Step 1: Placed the sliced bell peppers and sliced onions in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Drizzle the peppers and onions with olive oil and lightly season them with salt and pepper.
Transfer the peppers and onions into the air fryer basket. Air fry the vegetables for 10-13 minutes at 370°F. Stir the peppers and onions halfway through cook time.
At 10 minutes the peppers and onions should be fully cooked. If you like them a little crispy on the edges (like me), then continue cooking them for another few minutes.
Step 2: Remove the cooked peppers and onions from the air fryer basket and set them aside. Place the raw sausages in a single layer in the bottom of the air fryer basket.
Air fry the Italian sausages for 10 minute at 370°F, flipping once halfway through cooking time.
Step 3: After 10 minutes the sausages should be fully cooked and nice and crispy on the outside, but still juicy on the inside! Check the internal temperature of the sausages using a digital meat thermometer to confirm that they are fully cooked.
Step 4: Serve your Air Fryer Italian Sausages on sausage rolls topped with the air fried peppers and onions! This is a great option for an easy dinner!
Variations & serving suggestions
- Low carb - One of the reasons that the sausage, peppers, and onions combo is so popular is because it's easy to serve low carb. Skip the bun and serve this meal over raw salad greens, cooked greens, or cauliflower rice. This can also be a dairy-free, paleo, and keto recipe!
- Gluten-free - This recipe is easy to make gluten-free! You can either use a gluten-free bun or serve it over brown rice, white rice, baby potatoes, beans, or quinoa.
- Add some cheese - I love to top my sausage, peppers, and onions with grated parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar cheese. I like to add it when everything is still hot so that the cheese gets gooey and melted.
This air fryer sausage recipe is the perfect meal to make in advance and enjoy the next day. It stores and reheats incredibly well. Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, in an airtight container.
Leftover sausages are delicious with breakfast, lunch or dinner! An easy way to reheat cooked sausage is in the microwave.
- Choose mild, sweet, or hot Italian sausages! I love sweet and mild Italian sausage, but if you like the heat, then go for it!
- Skip the peppers and onions if they aren't your thing!
- The thickness of the sausage is important in this recipe. You do not want to use thin sausages. Your sausages should be about 1 inch thick in diameter.
- You can easily make this a one-ingredient recipe by eliminating all of the ingredients except for the Italian sausage links.
- Some uncooked sausage links have a high-fat content. When air-frying, the fat might drip down and smoke. Keep an eye on this and always start with a clean air fryer!
- Check to make sure your sausages are fully cooked using a digital meat thermometer. Chicken and turkey sausages are fully cooked when their internal temperature reaches 165°F. Pork sausage is fully cooked when its internal temperature reaches 160°F.
Recipes you might also like
- 6 large Italian sausage links - uncooked, in casing
- 3 large bell peppers - sliced
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 6 sausage rolls
- Preheat your basket style air fryer at 370°F for 3 minutes.
- Place the sliced peppers and onions in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (to taste). Stir to combine.
- Transfer the peppers and onions to the basket of your air fryer. Air fry the peppers and onions for 10-13 minutes at 370°F, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
- When the peppers and onions are finished cooking, remove them from the air fryer and place the Italian sausage links into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the Italian sausages for 10 minutes at 370°F, flipping once halfway through cooking time. After 10 minutes the sausages should be fully cooked and nice and crispy on the outside. Check the internal temperature using a digital meat thermometer to make sure that they are fully cooked.
- Once the sausages are cooked, remove them from the air fryer. Serve the sausages on a crusty sausage roll, topped with cooked peppers and onions. Enjoy!
The type of sausage you use in this recipe matters. This sausage air fryer recipe is specifically for large sausage links, not sausage patties. It's for uncooked sausages in the casing, not fully-cooked "heat & eat" sausages.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: air frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Italian sausage in air fryer, air fryer Italian sausage
Check out my highlights on Instagram for weekly family dinner ideas!
Did you make this recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I love hearing from my followers and answering any of your questions!