This quick and easy recipe for Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash is lightly seasoned and drizzled with olive oil. In less than 20 minutes, you can have perfectly cooked, tender, zucchini and summer squash!
We can't have too many zucchini recipes during the summer months, right?!
Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash is a flavorful and easy side dish recipe that will cook in under 20 minutes and is easily customizable.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Only 1 main ingredient! Yes, you truly can make this recipe using just one simple ingredient, summer squash. The olive oil and seasonings are added for flavor!
- Fits into all diets! This air fryer zucchini recipe is a healthy snack and a delicious side dish. It fits into a low-carb, keto, paleo, gluten-free, vegan, Whole30, and vegetarian diet!
- Easily customizable! Make this recipe your own with substitutions and toppings.
Zucchini: Choose medium-sized zucchini for the best results. Medium-sized zucchini is tender, mild and doesn't have huge seeds in the center.
Yellow squash: In addition to zucchini, you'll need yellow squash, which is also commonly referred to as summer squash, crookneck squash, and straight-neck squash. For this recipe, just use the yellow squash that looks similar to zucchini.
Olive oil: A light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil will help to give the air fryer squash that appetizing golden brown color that we all love.
Seasoning blend: The seasoning blend is a combination of dried herbs and spices. This includes garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, dried oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
*See the recipe card below for exact ingredient amounts.
- Air Fryer (basket style) - Here is the air fryer that I currently use. I purchased it in January of 2022, and it's working out really well for me! Many food bloggers also love the Ninja Foodi Air Fryer and the 5.8 QT Cosori Air Fryer.
- Cutting board and chopping knife
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
How to make Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash
Step 1: Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. While the air fryer is preheating, slice your zucchini and squash into round slices, then cut them in half, into half-moon shapes. Place them into a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Combine the dried herbs, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Step 3: Drizzle the sliced squash with olive oil and season with the dried herb blend. Mix to fully combine.
Step 4: Transfer the cut and seasoned squash slices to the air fryer basket. Try to spread the squash out in an even, single layer. You'll have overlapping, though, which is totally fine.
Step 5: Cook the squash in the air fryer at 400°F for 10-15 minutes, tossing once, halfway through cooking time. Start checking the squash at 10 minutes. If the squash isn't quite golden brown and crispy on the edges, then continue cooking the squash for up to 5 minutes more.
Step 6: Remove your summer squash from the basket of the air fryer and transfer it to a serving platter. Add any toppings and adjust your seasonings to taste if needed. Enjoy!
- Many air fryers require preheating. To preheat an air fryer, simply run the air fryer for 3 minutes at the temperature you will be cooking your recipe at.
- This recipe works for both round zucchini slices and zucchini spears. I have tested it both ways!
- I included a seasoning blend with this air fryer recipe, but you definitely don't need to use it. If all you want to do is air fry zucchini and squash, then simply follow the cooking instructions and omit the dried herbs.
- I highly suggest making a big batch of air fryer summer squash and keeping it in the fridge for the week. You can add air-fried zucchini and yellow squash to scrambled eggs, pasta, salads, soups, and sandwiches and use it as a side dish at lunch and dinnertime.
Seasoning blend: I prefer to use the seasonings that I have included in this recipe. You could also use an Italian seasoning blend or your own favorite dried herbs.
Toppings: Zucchini and yellow squash are delicious topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, and a light squeeze of lemon juice. I top this recipe with fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Dipping sauces: If you want your air fryer squash to have even more flavor, drizzle them with your favorite dipping sauce. I love a delicious marinara sauce or a garlic aioli.
How to store, reheat, and freeze
How to store: Store leftover cooked summer squash and zucchini in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat: Reheat leftover air fryer zucchini and squash in the microwave in a glass, microwave-safe dish, or on the stovetop. Reheat leftovers on the stovetop in a small frying pan, lightly oiled with cooking spray, over low heat.
How to freeze: Let the cooked zucchini cool completely. Lay the zucchini out flat on a baking sheet, spaced apart. Freeze the zucchini for about 1-2 hours, then transfer the frozen zucchini to a plastic freezer bag.
Check out my highlights on Instagram for weekly family dinner ideas!
Did you make this recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I love hearing from my followers and answering any of your questions!