Creamy Mediterranean Chicken Salad contains shredded chicken and classic Mediterranean ingredients like Kalamata olives, capers, roasted red peppers, and feta cheese. This simple recipe only has 7 ingredients... with four of the ingredients coming straight from a jar!
Creamy chicken salad is one of my absolute favorite make-ahead lunch recipes. It stores well in the refrigerator and can be eaten so many different ways.
I love making chicken salad with Dutch Oven Pulled Chicken!
While I love a chicken salad recipe with classic ingredients like celery and white onion, this recipe is unique, delicious, and crave-worthy as well!
I love how easy it is to make with very minimal chopping because most of the ingredients come from a jar.
- Cooked & shredded chicken breast - If you prefer to make your own shredded chicken, then I recommend poaching your chicken. Poached chicken is juicy, tender, full of flavor, and cooks quickly on the stove top. You can find step-by-step instructions on how to poach chicken here. You can also cook your chicken in the slow cooker. Slow cookers make perfectly juicy and tender shredded chicken! If you don't want to make your own chicken then you can purchase a rotisserie chicken or canned chicken breast.
- Roasted red peppers - I used roasted red peppers that came straight from a jar. You can make your own if you want to, but you definitely don't have to! You can find roasted red peppers near the pickle section in any grocery store.
- Red onion - Red onion is my preference but if you don't have red onion then you can substitute white or yellow onion.
- Capers - Capers are briny, salty little green balls that add pops of flavor to your dish! Specifically, capers are native to the Mediterranean and are the unripened flower buds of the caper bush. You may have eaten capers the last time you ordered chicken piccata from a restaurant!
- Kalamata olives - These are another jarred ingredient. I would not recommend subbing in green or black olives. Kalamata olives are a vital ingredient in this recipe.
- Feta cheese - Purchase crumbly feta cheese and make sure you purchase the full-fat version.
- Mayonnaise - I prefer low-fat mayo but you can use whatever your preference is.
- Optional ingredient - fresh parsley for garnish
That's it! I didn't add any extra salt because the roasted red peppers, capers, and Kalamata olives all have salt added to the jar. I found the recipe to be plenty salty and flavorful without adding any extra salt.
- Medium-sized saucepan (to make the shredded chicken)
- Large mixing bowl and spoon
- Cutting board and chopping knife
- Measuring cups
How to make
- Cook & Shred: Cook your chicken breast and then either shred or chop the chicken.
- Mix: Add the roasted red peppers, red onion, capers, Kalamata olives, and crumbled feta cheese to the mixing bowl and combine.
- Stir: Stir the mayonnaise into the chicken mixture.
- Serve: Serve this Mediterranean chicken recipe over greens and garnish it with fresh parsley.
- Over salad greens
- In a wrap
- In a pita
- As a sandwich
- With raw veggies
- With your favorite crackers
Frequently Asked Questions
You bet! It's one of those amazing recipes that actually tastes better after it has sat for a little while.
As long as all of your jarred ingredients are specified as being gluten-free then yes, this is a gluten-free recipe! This recipe does not contain any of the common gluten-filled ingredients like flour, bread crumbs, or pasta.
Mediterranean Style Creamy Chicken Salad will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Mayonnaise does not freeze well and tends to separate after it has thawed. I also do not know how well the jarred ingredients or the onions would hold up after freezing and thawing.
Recipes you might like
- Classic Chicken Salad with Fresh Herbs
- Top 50 Sides for Chicken Salad
- Asparagus Salad with Fried Goat Cheese
- Feta & White Bean Salad (Vegetarian)
- Pretzel-Crusted Buffalo Chicken Tender Salad