Creamy classic chicken salad is a combination of juicy chicken, crunchy celery, white onions, and mayonnaise. The addition of fresh herbs turns this simple classic into an elevated & refreshing main meal.
Chicken salad has always been one of my favorite meal-prep lunches. It comes together quickly, stores well in the refrigerator, and can be served in a variety of different ways.
I love making homemade chicken salad with my Dutch Oven Pulled Chicken!
The addition of fresh herbs sends this recipe over the top! Fresh parsley, dill, and green onion add color, and fresh summer flavors and turn a plain dish into something spectacular.
Serve chicken salad with any of these Top 50 Chicken Salad Sides. I would also serve chicken salad with Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup, Dutch Oven Chicken Noodle Soup, or Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
If you love chicken salad then you also need to try out my Creamy Mediterranean Style Chicken Salad!
- Contains fresh veggies and fresh herbs
- Classic & well-loved recipe
- Minimal prep time
- Minimal to no cook time
- Easily customizable to be gluten-free and low carb
- Poached chicken - Poaching is a gentle cooking method. When poaching chicken, the chicken breast is submerged in water or broth that is kept at a low, constant temperature. The chicken cooks slowly, resulting in tender and juicy meat.
- Celery- Celery is crunchy, watery, and a little bit salty. Celery adds fiber, bulk, and lots of texture to creamy chicken salad.
- Onion - I always use white onion when making chicken salad.
- Fresh parsley - You can use either flat leaf or curly parsley. T
- Fresh dill - Fresh dill weed is sometimes used as a substitute for parsley. In this recipe, we are using it in addition to parsley! When chopping dill weed you can chop both the stems and the long fronds/leaves.
- Fresh green onion - Chop the long green ends of the green onion and discard the white bottoms for this recipe.
- Mayonnaise - I always choose Hellman's Low-Fat Mayonnaise. You can choose low-fat or full-fat.
- Vinegar - I used rice vinegar for this recipe. Rice vinegar is a slightly sweet, mild vinegar and tends to be my #1 choice when choosing a vinegar for a recipe.
- Salt & pepper - I like kosher salt and it is what I primarily use when cooking and creating recipes. Go ahead and use whatever salt you prefer.
- Croissant rolls - Buttery, flakey croissant rolls are my favorite way to eat chicken salad.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Large mixing bowl
📋How to make Creamy Chicken Salad
- Chop - Chop the poached chicken breast (see instructions for poaching chicken below), celery and onion.
- Dice - Dice the fresh parsley, dill, and green onion.
- Measure - Measure out your remaining ingredients. This includes the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Mix - Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Serve - Serve your classic chicken salad on a fresh, buttery croissant and enjoy!
🍗How to poach chicken
Step 1: Place your chicken breast in a single layer in the bottom of a saucepan.
Step 2: Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and add some aromatics. Aromatics are any food item that will enhance the flavor of a dish. Examples include herbs, spices, vegetables, fruit, wine, and vinegar. Pick your aromatics based on the flavors of your dish. For example, I used a few sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley, slices of onion, and a bay leaf.
Step 3: Add cool water to the saucepan. Pour in enough water to cover the chicken by at least an inch.
Step 4: Bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low (just below a simmer), cover the pot, and let the chicken cook.
The chicken will typically finish cooking in 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken. The chicken is fully cooked once it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
Step 5: Transfer the cooked chicken from the saucepan to a cutting board. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serving alternatives - Try eating your classic chicken salad on a croissant, brioche bun, whole wheat wrap, fresh-baked sourdough bread, over greens, or stuffed in a tomato!
- Optional add-ins - Add in walnuts for extra crunch and purple grapes for a hint of sweetness.
- Flavor options - Try out curried chicken salad or Waldorf style chicken salad.
- Fresh herbs - You can substitute additional fresh herbs that you enjoy. I think fresh tarragon, thyme, and oregano would all be delicious! You could also swap out the fresh herbs for dried herbs.
- Mayonnaise - Many people will swap out mayo for Greek yogurt and/or sour cream. To make this recipe dairy-free, you can use a dairy free mayo.
- Chicken - If you do not want to spend time poaching your own chicken, you can use rotisserie chicken, pulled chicken, or canned chicken.
🥗Chicken recipes you might also like
💬Frequently Asked Questions
Yes it can be. A typical chicken salad recipe is naturally low-carb and gluten free. However, if you serve your chicken salad on a croissant roll like I have suggested, then it will not be gluten free or low carb. Eliminate the roll to make it low-carb. Substitute the croissant with gluten free bread/wrap/roll to make it gluten free.
If creamy chicken salad is stored in the refrigerator in a sealed, air-tight container, then it should last 3-4 days.
Low carb ways to serve chicken salad include cucumber slices, sliced endive, in romaine lettuce "boats," or in hollowed out tomatoes.
Classic Chicken Salad with Fresh Herbs
Creamy classic chicken salad is a combination of juicy chicken, crunchy celery, white onions and mayonnaise. The addition of fresh herbs turn this simple classic into an elevated & refreshing main meal.
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1.5 pounds poached chicken breast - chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ¼ cup diced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh dill weed
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh green onion
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 croissant rolls
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken breast, celery, onion, parsley, dill and green onion. Mix together until well combined.
- Add the mayonnaise into the chicken, vegetable and herb mixture and mix together.
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper to the chicken salad mixture. Mix well.
- Slice the 4 croissant rolls open lengthwise. Evenly distribute the chicken salad onto the rolls. Serve & enjoy!
- See my instructions in the post to learn how to poach chicken breast.
- You can substitute roasted or rotisserie chicken for poached chicken.
- To make the recipe low-carb and/or gluten free, simply eliminate the croissant rolls.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: poaching, mixing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic chicken salad
Follow me on Facebook, on Instagram and on Pinterest!
Did you make this recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I love hearing from my followers and answering any of your questions!
This salad totally hit the spot. I love the dill in this recipe and I had it on a slice of low carb bread. Great recipe.
Great recipe with very helpful instructions! I can't wait to make this!
This chicken salad was so fresh and flavorful! I loved it for a quick and easy lunch.
I bet this is the best combo ever. I must try this recipe immediately.
I love the addition of fresh herbs in this chicken salad recipe. They add so much flavor! Thank you for this easy to follow but delicious recipe!