Buffalo chicken thighs are boneless & skinless chicken thighs coated in buffalo sauce, baked, and topped with chopped celery and crumbly blue cheese.
This simple high protein and low-carb main dish is easy enough for a busy weeknight dinner. Pair it with Sautéed Zucchini and Onions with Sweet Corn to keep it lower in carbs!
- Low carb
- High protein
- Gluten free
- Only 4 main ingredients
- Excellent for meal prep
- Chicken thighs – This recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken thighs. I would not substitute in bone-in/skin-on chicken thighs. Bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs have a different cook time and also produce a lot of oil during the cooking process. Substituting them in would drastically change the way this recipe turns out.
- Celery – The chopped celery is added to the chicken thighs after they have cooked and are ready to be served. The cool celery contrasts wonderfully with hot buffalo sauce.
- Blue Cheese – The crumbly blue cheese is also added to the baked buffalo chicken after they have finished cooking. You could substitute in creamy blue cheese dressing for the crumbly blue cheese if needed.
- Buffalo sauce – I recommend buying bottled buffalo sauce for this recipe because it is convenient and saves time. I prefer to purchase Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Sauce. If bottled buffalo sauce isn’t for you, here’s a simple recipe for homemade buffalo sauce!
- Salt – Most of the time I prefer to use course kosher salt.
- Garlic powder – I always use garlic powder that actually looks more like garlic granules, however, it is still labeled as “garlic powder” on the bottle. I prefer to use Simply Organic Garlic Powder.
- Fresh parsley – Garnishing the chicken things with fresh parsley is optional.
Kitchen tools needed
This baked buffalo chicken recipe doesn’t require many kitchen tools at all! This makes cleanup a breeze!
- Medium mixing bowl
- Sheet pan
- Cutting board & chopping knife
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
How to make Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Season – Season the chicken thighs with salt and garlic powder. Coat the seasoned chicken thighs in buffalo sauce.
- Bake – Bake the chicken thighs in a 400° F oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve – Top the baked chicken thighs with chopped celery and crumbly blue cheese. If wanted, drizzle with extra buffalo sauce and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
You might also like
- Pretzel Crusted Buffalo Chicken Tender Salad
- Roasted Dijon Chicken Thighs with Crispy Skin
- Classic Chicken Salad with Fresh Herbs
Frequently Asked Questions
The cooked chicken thighs should stay fresh from 3-5 days if stored in an air-tight container.
Yes, all ingredients used for this recipe are naturally gluten free.
Yes, definitely! You will have to adjust the cooking time and the texture of the meat will change a bit, but otherwise grilling chicken thighs should work well.
- Serve with any kind of potato – baked, roasted, fried or mashed.
- Serve with white or brown rice.
- Serve over a green salad or with steamed broccoli or steamed green beans.
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a review below!