Bring this festive kid-friendly dessert to your next 4th of July BBQ! Red, White & Blue Berry Skewers are an easy snack that can be customized several different ways. It's sure to please both kids and adults!
Berry Skewers can be made with ripe raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or blackberries. They are paired with a variety of sweet, white colored foods like sliced bananas, marshmallows and angel food cake. Alternate the different foods on the skewers in a red, white and blue pattern or make them look like the American flag.
I like to dip the berry skewers in yummy Sweet Cream Cheese Dip.
- Raspberries - The raspberries were a little messy and harder to work with, but they taste delicious. They are a must for me because my youngest is allergic to strawberries.
- Strawberries - I suggest cutting the strawberries into halves or quarters. I tried slicing the strawberries but they end up too thin and do not stay on the skewers.
- Blueberries - The blueberries were my favorite berry to thread through the skewer. They go on easily, don't make a mess and multiple berries can be added at at ime.
- Bananas - Using banana slices instead of marshmallow or cake will keep these berry skewers 100% healthy.
- Marshmallows - I used large marshmallows. I think mini marshmallows would work really well too. I used Dandies Vegan Marshmallows for this recipe because they don't contain any corn syrup, artificial flavors or colors.
- Angel food cake - The angel food cake was very easy to cut up into chunks. It doesn't crumble at all.
- Sweet Cream Cheese Dip - I provide instructions below on how to make the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip. This dip consists of cream cheese, brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Skewers - I prefer to used bamboo skewers but metal skewers work well too.
- Electric mixer - A handheld electric beater will work.
- Cutting board & knife
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
How to make
Step 1: Make the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip. Add all of the cream cheese dip ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. This includes the cream cheese, brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
Step 2: Using an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese dip on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
Step 3: If you are using any ingredients for the berry skewers that need to be chopped, now is the time to do it! I chopped the strawberries, banana and the angel food cake. The strawberries should be chopped into large chunks, not thin slices.
Step 4: Now it's time to make your fruit kabobs! Make any combination of flavors that you prefer!
Step 5: Serve your festive fruit kabobs with Sweet Cream Cheese Dip on the side.
Recipes you might also like
- Instead of blueberries, try out blackberries instead!
- In addition to strawberries and raspberries, include some chunks of watermelon.
- If you don't want to use angel food cake, try out pound cake.
- If you don't want to use a dairy based dip like my Sweet Cream Cheese Dip, try some chocolate hummus. Store bought chocolate hummus is delicious!
Frequently asked questions
If you are making the berry skewers ahead of time, I would not use banana slices. Otherwise, yes, they can be made in advance. Tightly wrap them in plastic and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
I would only keep them for about 24 hours. The marshmallows and the angel food cake will begin to dry out.
Pound cake would be an excellent alternative to angel food cake.
Absolutely not! I purchased a pre-made angel food cake from the grocery store for my fruit kabobs.
Sweet Cream Cheese Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Strawberries - 16 ounces (average sized container)
- Raspberries - 6 ounces (average sized container)
- Blueberries - 1 pint (average sized container)
- 1 Banana
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1 angel food cake
- Make the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip. Add all ingredients for the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly on medium speed using an electric mixer. Mix until no clumps remain and the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip is light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Chop the berries, bananas and angel food cake for the berry skewers. The strawberries should be cut into halves and/or quarters. The bananas are sliced into ½ inch thick slices. The angel food cake is roughly chopped into large chunks.
- Thread the berries, bananas, marshmallows and angel food cake onto skewers. Get creative with your patters and combinations!
- Serve the berry skewers with the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip.
- The Sweet Cream Cheese Dip should be refrigerated until it is ready to be served.
- The banana slices may turn brown if made too far in advance.
- In addition to the ingredients used above, you could also use blackberries and watermelon.
- In addition to Cream Cheese Dip, you could serve these with whipped topping, chocolate hummus or yogurt fruit dip.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: no-cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: berry skewers, cream cheese
Did you make this recipe? Tell me all about it in the comments below! I love hearing from my followers and answering any of your questions!