Bring this festive kid-friendly dessert to your next 4th of July BBQ! Red, White & Blue Berry Skewers are an easy snack that can be customized several different ways. It’s sure to please both kids and adults!
Berry Skewers can be made with ripe raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or blackberries. They are paired with a variety of sweet, white colored foods like sliced bananas, marshmallows and angel food cake. Alternate the different foods on the skewers in a red, white and blue pattern or make them look like the American flag.
Dip the berry skewers in Sweet Cream Cheese Dip. Recipe found below!
You could also dip them in whipped topping or chocolate hummus!
For this recipe I used the ingredients shown in the photo above. You could also use blackberries or watermelon!
- Raspberries – The raspberries were a little messy and harder to work with, but they taste delicious. They are a must for me because my youngest is allergic to strawberries.
- Strawberries – I suggest cutting the strawberries into halves or quarters. I tried slicing the strawberries but they end up too thin and do not stay on the skewers.
- Blueberries – The blueberries were my favorite berry to thread through the skewer. They go on easily, don’t make a mess and multiple berries can be added at at ime.
- Bananas – Using banana slices instead of marshmallow or cake will keep these berry skewers 100% healthy.
- Marshmallows – I used large marshmallows. I think mini marshmallows would work really well too. I used Dandies Vegan Marshmallows for this recipe because they don’t contain any corn syrup, artificial flavors or colors.
- Angel food cake – The angel food cake was very easy to cut up into chunks. It doesn’t crumble at all.
- Sweet Cream Cheese Dip – I provide instructions below on how to make the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip. This dip consists of cream cheese, brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Skewers – I prefer to used bamboo skewers but metal skewers work well too.
- Electric mixer – A handheld electric beater will work.
- Cutting board & knife
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups & measuring spoons
How to make
Step 1: Make the Sweet Cream Cheese Dip. Add all of the cream cheese dip ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. This includes the cream cheese, brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
Step 2: Using an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese dip on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
Step 3: If you are using any ingredients for the berry skewers that need to be chopped, now is the time to do it! I chopped the strawberries, banana and the angel food cake. The strawberries should be chopped into large chunks, not thin slices.
Step 4: Now it’s time to make your fruit kabobs! Make any combination of flavors that you prefer!
Step 5: Serve your festive fruit kabobs with Sweet Cream Cheese Dip on the side.Print
If you are making the berry skewers ahead of time, I would not use banana slices. Otherwise, yes, they can be made in advance. Tightly wrap them in plastic and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
I would only keep them for about 24 hours. The marshmallows and the angel food cake will begin to dry out.
Pound cake would be an excellent alternative to angel food cake.
Absolutely not! I purchased a pre-made angel food cake from the grocery store for my fruit kabobs.
- Instead of blueberries, try out blackberries instead!
- In addition to strawberries and raspberries, include some chunks of watermelon.
- If you don’t want to use angel food cake, try out pound cake.
- If you don’t want to use a dairy based dip like my Sweet Cream Cheese Dip, try some chocolate hummus. Store bought chocolate hummus is delicious!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a review below!