I have posted before about how amazing and versatile cauliflower is. Thanks to it's mild flavor in it's natural state, cauliflower easily takes on the flavor of any seasoning. If you are looking to add some variety to your family's Taco Tuesday, my recipe for Taco Seasoned Cauliflower Steaks with Guacamole is the way to go! Not only will they add variety to your Taco Tuesday menu, but they are an easy and delicious way to get more veggies onto your child's plate!
My recipe for Taco Seasoned Cauliflower Steak with Guacamole calls for just a handful of ingredients – 1 head of cauliflower, olive oil, taco seasoning, Mexican blend cheese, green onions, fresh cilantro, guacamole and salsa. The cauliflower can be cut and prepped faster than it will take your oven to preheat.
The first thing you will need to do is remove some of the stem (but not all) from the cauliflower. You will still want all the florets attached to part of the stem because this will hold steak slices of the cauliflower together. After removing some of the stem, place the cauliflower on your cutting board stem side down. Now slice the cauliflower into steaks about 1 inch thick. Some pieces will fall apart. That is okay. Place all pieces onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Do not overcrowd your pan. Roasted vegetables need space around them for air to flow. If the pan is crowded then the vegetables will not roast and instead will steam.
Next you will brush the cauliflower with olive oil and season with taco seasoning. After the cauliflower has roasted you will add your cheese, green onion and fresh cilantro, bake for 1 more minute to melt the cheese and then serve and enjoy!
Check out some of my other cauliflower recipes!Print
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons taco blend seasoning
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ⅛ cup chopped green onions
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove your cauliflower from the package and cut off as much of the stem as possible. Make sure to still leave the inner stem in tact with all cauliflower pieces still attached.
- Put the cauliflower stem side down on your cutting board. Start slicing your cauliflower into 1 inch steaks. Some of the cauliflower will crumble apart when you do this and some will stay fully attached together. Place all slices and pieces of cauliflower onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Carefully drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over your cauliflower. Use a brush or your fingers to rub the olive oil all over each cauliflower steak.
- Now sprinkle the taco seasoning on your cauliflower. Only season one side.
- Place your sheet of cauliflower steaks into your preheated oven on the middle rack and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from oven and carefully flip all pieces over. Return to oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the Mexican cheese blend, green onions and fresh cilantro.
- Return to oven for 1 minute to let the cheese melt. Remove from oven, top large slices/pieces with dollops of guacamole, serve with salsa on the side and enjoy!
See photos above for cauliflower slicing technique.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 31
- Category: side dish
- Method: roasting
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: cauliflower, cauliflower steak, Mexican, guacamole, cilantro