My favorite way to cook vegetables is to roast them in the oven. My absolute favorite roasted vegetable is cauliflower. When roasted in high heat the flat sides of the cauliflower carmelize, the inside softens and the top textured part of the floret becomes golden and crispy.
Roasted cauliflower on it's own, simply dressed with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt is delicious. But roasted cauliflower dressed up with a variety of seasonings and toppings is even better! Thankfully cauliflower is an excellent vehicle for just about any flavor craving you might have and can be prepared in a variety of ways.
My recipe for oven roasted cauliflower steak with parmesan and parsley calls for just a handful of ingredients - 1 head of cauliflower, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. The cauliflower can be cut and prepped faster than it will take your oven to preheat.
The first thing you will need to do is remove some of the stem (but not all) from the cauliflower. You will still want all the florets attached to part of the stem because this will hold steak slices of the cauliflower together. After removing some of the stem, place the cauliflower on your cutting board stem side down. Now slice the cauliflower into steaks about 1 inch thick. Some pieces will fall apart. That is okay. Place all pieces onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Do not overcrowd your pan. Roasted vegetables need space around them for air to flow. If the pan is crowded then the vegetables will not roast and instead will steam.
Now you will brush the cauliflower with olive oil and season the cauliflower with salt and garlic powder. After roasting you will add the parmesan cheese and the parsley and bake for 1 more minute to melt the cheese. Now it's time to eat and enjoy!
Check out some of my other cauliflower recipes!Print
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic powder
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove your cauliflower from the package and cut off as much of the stem as possible. Make sure to still leave the inner stem in tact with all cauliflower pieces still attached.
- Put the cauliflower stem side down on your cutting board. Start slicing your cauliflower into 1 inch steaks. Some of the cauliflower will crumble apart when you do this and some will stay fully attached together. Place all slices and pieces of cauliflower onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Carefully drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over your cauliflower. Use a brush or your fingers to rub the olive oil all over each cauliflower steak.
- Now sprinkle salt and garlic powder (to taste) on your cauliflower. Only season one side. Seasoning both sides will make the cauliflower too salty.
- Place your sheet of cauliflower steaks into your preheated oven on the middle rack and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from oven and carefully flip all pieces over. Return to oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese and the ½ cup chopped fresh parsley.
- Return to oven for 1 minute to let the cheese melt. Remove from oven and enjoy!
See photos above for cauliflower slicing technique.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 31
- Category: side dish
- Method: roasting
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: cauliflower, cauliflower steak, parmesan, garlic, parsley