- 5 tablespoons salted butter (high quality)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounce bag regular size marshmallows
- 5 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Line a square or rectangular shaped baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows into the freezer to chill.
- Melt the butter over low to medium heat in a large stock pot. Save the butter wrapper! You'll need this again in step #6.
- Add the vanilla extract and bag of regular sized marshmallows to the melted butter. Stir continuously until the marshmallows are completely melted with no lumps remaining, about 3-5 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Measure out the dry Rice Krispies Cereal into a large mixing bowl. Pour the warm, melted marshmallows over the cereal. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Let the Rice Krispies mixture cool for 5 minutes. Once cooled, add the chilled mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Gently fold them into the Rice Krispies mixture.
- Transfer the treats to your foil lined baking dish. Use the inside of the butter wrapper to press the treats smoothly into the pan. Let the Rice Krispies treats cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the treats from the pan by peeling up the aluminum foil and turning it out onto a large cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the Rice Krispies treats into equally sized squares.
- I recommend using a high quality butter like Kerrygold Salted Pure Irish butter.
- A large stock pot or soup pot is necessary. A regular sized sauce pan will be too small.
- Chilling the mini chocolate chips and the mini marshmallows is absolutely necessary! It's also necessary to transfer the hot, melted marshmallows out of the hot cooking pot. The chocolate chips will just melt as you're mixing them into your Rice Krispies treats if you don't do those two steps.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes to cool
- Category: dessert
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice krispies treats with chocolate chips, rice krispie treats with chocolate chips