Make yourself a batch of these ultra creamy, slow cooker steel cut oats. Breakfast will cook all night while you sleep and you will wake up to a warm, freshly-cooked meal and a kitchen that smells like fresh baked apple cinnamon muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped apple
- Cooking spray
- Optional - walnuts, brown sugar
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add all of your wet ingredients to the slow cooker first. This includes the water, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Next add the steel cut oats, ground cinnamon and the chopped apple.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 7.5 hours or high for 3.5 hours.
- At the end of cook time, give the oatmeal a good stir. Top with walnuts and brown sugar. Enjoy!
- Don't forget the non-stick cooking spray! This is an absolute must.
- If you want to make this recipe gluten free, just make sure you are using certified gluten free steel cut oats.
- If you don't care about this recipe being vegan, I suggest serving your steel cut oats with a splash of heavy cream or half & half.
- This recipe will freeze well. I suggest freezing in individual portions and thawing in the microwave when you are ready to eat it.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan steel cut oats, slow cooker steel cut oats, apple cinnamon steel cut oats, overnight oats