Pasta with Sausage and Broccolini
Pasta with Sausage and Broccolini is a crowd-pleasing dinner recipe. Not only is it filling, but it's also simple to make and covers your carb, protein and veggie servings all in one bowl!
- Author: Katie
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8, 1 cup servings 1x
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: stove top cooking
- Cuisine: Italian American
- 16 ounces medium sized macaroni shells
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh broccolini (about 12 stalks)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Cook the pasta shells in salted boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium-low heat in a medium-sized sauté pan. Add the Italian chicken sausage to the pan. If the sausage is in casings, simply squeeze the sausage out of the casing.
- Using a spatula, break up the sausage into small pieces while it is cooking. Cook until no pink remains, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the sausage and cook for an additional minute.
- Lay the broccolini on top of the cooked sausage, cover the pan with a tight fitting lid, and let the broccolini steam until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the broccolini and sausage from the heat. Remove the broccolini from the pan and set aside. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken sausage to the stock pot with the cooked pasta. Add the ricotta cheese and the parmesan cheese to the pasta and sausage.
- Mix the pasta, ricotta, parmesan and sausage together, until well combined.
- Transfer the pasta to serving bowls. Serve each bowl of pasta topped with the broccolini and a pinch of red pepper flakes (if desired).
- Only add the red pepper flakes if you like the extra heat!
- If your sausage is in casings, simply squeeze the sausage out of the casings and straight into the hot sauté pan.
- Reheat leftover pasta in the microwave for a minute at a time, until desired warmth is reached. You may need to add extra ricotta cheese when reheating to make the pasta creamy again.
Keywords: pasta with broccolini and sausage, broccoli sausage pasta, sausage pasta