- 2 pounds trimmed and cut fresh green beans (see notes)
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 cups crispy fried onions
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Bring a large stock pot of water to a rolling boil. If you haven't trimmed and cut your fresh green beans already, then you can do this while the water is coming to a boil. See note below about trimming and measuring the green beans.
- Blanch your green beans. Submerge the green beans into the boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes. Drain the boiling water and immediately rinse the green beans with cold water. Transfer the green beans to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, sliced white onions, milk, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir until to combine.
- Pour the cream of chicken mixture over top of the blanched green beans. Stir until the green beans are fully coated in the soup mixture.
- Transfer the soup and bean mixture to your casserole dish. Bake the casserole in your preheated oven for 30 minutes, until heated through and bubbling. Remove from the oven, top with an even layer of the crispy fried onions and return the dish to the oven. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the fried onions are starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven, serve and enjoy!
- This recipe calls for 2 pounds of trimmed and cut green beans. This means the weight measurement is taken after the green beans have been trimmed and cut. When shopping for this recipe, you should purchase around 2.5-3 pounds of fresh green beans, so that you enough green beans after you've trimmed the ends, cut them in half and discarded any with black or brown spots. The best way to get an accurate measurement is to use a kitchen scale.
- You can use 2% or whole milk for this recipe.
- The cream of chicken soup and the fried onions both contain significant amounts of salt, which is why I have not added any additional salt to this recipe. Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: green bean casserole with cream of chicken