- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3, 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes, with juices, stewed in Italian seasonings
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot or Dutch oven, about 3 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes (plus juices from the can), roasted red peppers and chicken broth to the sautéed onion and garlic. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a rapid simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the stewed tomatoes and roasted red peppers until smooth.
- Add the basil pesto and the heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Serve the soup while it's hot and enjoy!
- Optional: Garnish with fresh basil, homemade croutons and an extra splash of heavy cream. Adjust the seasonings to taste if needed.
- Be very careful when using an immersion blender in hot liquids. Keep the immersion blender fully submerged in the soup while you're blending to prevent splatter.
- See the post above on how to make homemade air fryer croutons.
- This recipe does not call for salt, pepper or any dried seasonings because of the sodium in the chicken broth and seasonings in the cans of stewed tomatoes. Add additional seasoning to taste if needed.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: stove top cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: roasted red pepper and tomato soup