- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Add the butter and diced onion to a large soup pot. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes on low heat, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth. Increase the heat to medium and bring the broth to a boil. Once boiling, add the chopped zucchini and broccoli. Cover and cook the zucchini and broccoli until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- After the vegetables have cooked, remove the soup pot from the heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until all of the vegetables have been blended together.
- Add the garlic powder, thyme and shredded cheddar cheese to the pureed soup. Stir until the cheese has melted and is fully incorporated into the soup.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- The amount of salt that needs to be added is dependent on how much sodium is in your vegetable broth. Add salt as needed.
- Be very careful when using an immersion blender! Start on the lowest setting. Keep the blender fully submerged when operating. I like to blend in short bursts and move the blender around as needed. Turn the blender off before you pull it out of the liquid.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: lunch, dinner, side dish
- Method: stove top cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: broccoli zucchini soup, zucchini broccoli soup