- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups red bell peppers - diced
- 1 cup white or yellow onion - diced
- 3 large garlic cloves - minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt - divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 15 ounces canned black beans - drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup beef broth
- Pour the olive oil into the bottom of a large, enameled cast iron Dutch oven and heat over medium heat.
- When hot, add the red bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Season with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and remaining salt and pepper. Brown on all sides over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, and cocoa powder. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, drained and rinsed canned beans, and beef broth. Give the chili a good stir, increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer on the stovetop for 1 hour.
Equipment needed: 6-quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven with a lid, silicone mixing spoon
Beef: I recommend choosing 85-90% lean ground beef. I recommend lean ground beef because we aren't draining any fat out of the Dutch Oven after we sear the meat. Grass-fed, locally sourced-ground beef is also a great choice!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: stove top cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: dutch oven chili, chili in dutch oven, dutch oven chili recipe